Do you know that there are many options available for the international students to study in Canada without IELTS? If you are not a native speaker, don’t worry as this article would present you with the best options that are not obligatory for English Language Proficiency Tests.
Along with the exemption of IELTS, these universities also provide a variety of courses for undergraduates and postgraduates as well. In addition, you would easily get enrolled in any of the best Canadian Universities to study the program you have been longing for.
Without taking IELTS, you get amazing opportunities to grow and build your career in Canada. Alongside, international students also get work permits and scholarships, which is again a great possibility to decrease their study and living costs.
These are exceptional alternatives for students to get a high-quality education and future opportunities in Canada without having to take the IELTS assessment.
So, let’s have a look at the list of Canadian universities that accept foreign students without asking for an IELTS test result.
Nine Schools to Study in Canada without IELTS
01. McMaster University
To discover the best and internationally recognized educational institution, McMaster University comes first to mind. The main goal of this university is to grow talent and skills among students and deliver surprising career options to them with multiple enrolling alternatives apart from IELTS.
McMaster University openly welcomes international students from around the globe to be successful in their programs. Although a high level of English is required, McMaster University offers 2 different English Proficiency options.
02. Vancouver Island University
The Vancouver Island University (VIU) provides over 120 undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs following a wide range of subjects.
Vancouver Island University has developed into an amazing academic institution that plays a major role in the academic, cultural, and economic life of the student’s career.
So, if you have completed your secondary education from an English-medium institution, you can submit that. Alongside, you would have to provide evidence for English Language Proficiency and be a part of this university. For that, they offer many options that you could choose without having to take the IELTS test.
- TOEFL: score of 550.
- TOEFL IBT: 88 minimum (Internet Based Test).
- CAEL: (Canadian Assessment English Language) Test with a score of 60.
- CPE: (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English) with an overall score of 176.
- CAE: (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English) score of 176 overall.
- BC: (English studies 12) with a minimum grade of “C”. PTE: score 60 at least.
03. Memorial University of Newfoundland
To get a unique and innovative approach to studying, Memorial University offers highly inducing educational skills and opportunities to its students.
As their primary language spoken is English, all students must be able to have basic speaking and understanding skills. So, if you want to continue your career in the following years, Memorial University would productively offer you great opportunities to get enrolled without IELTS.
- TOEFL score: 79 minimum.
- CAEL score: 50 to 60 in each component at least.
- ESOL: (Cambridge English).
- CanTEST: a minimum score of 4.5 and 4.
04. The University of Saskatchewan (USask)
The University of Saskatchewan in Canada (USask) is a home to over 3,000 foreign students from 130 countries. It is one of the oldest and distinct universities that serve globally renowned education and degrees.
You can easily get admission to this institution without taking the IELTS test as it offers other alternatives which make it convenient for international students to experience their academic programs.
A few universities hold multiple Canada Research Chairs, and the University of Saskatchewan is one of them. So, if you are looking for this kind of perfect university but are concerned about having to take the IELTS test.
Don’t worry, the University of Saskatchewan makes it easier? Moreover, let’s have a look at the following English Language Proficiency Requirements that would help you figure out the suitable outcome for yourself.
- Duolingo: a score of 110 at least.
- PTE Academic: overall score of 63.
- TOEFL IBT: a minimum score of 19.
- CanTEST: score of 4.5 at least.
- CAEL: 70 score a minimum.
05. Columbia College
It is a private academic institution in Canada situated in Vancouver, British Columbia, and they offer amazing course options for career success. However, you must qualify in the English Language Proficiency Test to get enrolled in this outstanding college.
All applicants should meet the English language criteria before they would receive the official acceptance letter. To determine your English capability, the applicant must submit external standardized English test scores.
- CAEL with a minimum score of 60-69 in reading, speaking and listening. While in writing, the student should score no less than 60.
- LPI (Language Proficiency Index) with the scoring of 4, Essay 25/40, and 50% on each of the three components.
- LWA (Language and Writing Assessment) with an overall score of 5.
- MELAB, with a minimum score of 79 is required.
- Duolingo Test score is required to be 110+
- TOEFL IBT with an overall score of 79, whereas at least 19 in each component.
06. The University of Regina (UoR)
The University of Regina in Saskatchewan offers around 200+ academic programs, while 10 faculties provide excellent undergraduate and postgraduate options. It is also ranked 701 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities and has an overall good star rating for the students.
In order to study at the University of Regina, the student must be eligible for their English language Proficiency Requirements. If you are not a native speaker, this institution provides many alternatives apart from IELTS.
- CAEL with a score of 80 in English.
- TOEFL IBT: score of 25 at least.
- PTE: with an overall score of 68 is a must.
- CanTEST: having a score of 5.0 overall, while 4.5 in each component.
- MELAB: with an overall score of 85 is required for the application.
- TOEFL (new): scores of 25, 25, 25 minimum.
- Duolingo: 120 score at least.
- UofR ESL: a score of Advanced EAP 050.
07. Royal Roads University (RRU)
The RRU in British Columbia is the most perfect destination for higher education as it provides deep knowledge of the subject along with flexible admission opportunities. Hence, for international students, the RRU is a great place to study in Canada without IELTS.
Although they may have some English Language Proficiency Requirements, they have not made it mandatory to take IELTS. English is the key to communication at Royal Roads University and without it, students may face difficulty understanding their respective subjects. Hence, all students must prove their English language ability.
- TOEFL IBT having 88 overall with a minimum score of 20 in all four components.
- PTE Assessment with 60 overall having no section less than 58.
- DET with an overall score of 105.
08. Athabasca University
Athabasca University is a public research university that also gives opportunities for distant learning as well. It is a well-reputed institution offering high-quality education.
However, if you want other options apart from IELTS, you can definitely go to Athabasca University as they give admissions to non-native English speakers who have not taken the IELTS.
- PTE: 59 score minimum.
- CAEL: score of 60%.
- TOEFL IBT: score of 80.
- MELAB: score of 80 at least.
- TOEFL: 213 score (Paper-based test).
09. Carleton University
Carleton University is considered a happy home for many international students as they offer a very attentive and highly encouraging environment. Although, at the time of admission international applicant must furnish a receipt of language proficiency in English.
However, the good things is that if a student can’t meet the language criteria, he/she can still get in, in the Carleton University.
The University shows tremendous support to the students where they provide many alternatives. So, studying in Canada without IELTS is now very easy. Similar to other universities, Carleton University also provides multiple opportunities regardless of which country you are from.
- PTE Assessment score: 60 (minimum)
- CAEL: 70 score & 60 in each band.
- TOEFL IBT: overall score of 86.
- DET: 115 overall & 90 in each component.
Which Canadian Universities do not require IELTS for international students?
The following are some of the major universities in Canada where you can study without IELTS:
- Concordia University
- Memorial University
- Carleton University
- Brock University, also
- The University of Saskatchewan
I don’t have, how can I go to Canada for studies?
For international students who do not intend to take an IELTS test, here is the list of alternatives:
- PTE, TOEFL, GMAT, and other such English proficiency tests.
- A transcript from a four-year English medium school.
Submit evidence that English is an official language of your country. A semester or year spent at a Canadian English medium school.
Final Words for study in Canada without IELTS
As there are considering alternatives to study in Canada without IELTS, it is now very convenient for international students to choose Canadian universities for their higher education.
This gives countless opportunities to students in choosing their desired fields without having a problem taking the IELTS test. In short, without giving it a second thought, you can now apply to these universities and build your future.